Sights & Activities
Localities • Places
Good Travel Faqs
Sicily's Top 12
Hotels • Planning
Maps of Sicily
Weather • Climate
Nature • History • People
Food • Wine • Dining
Arts • Literature • Culture
Contact • Follow
See Sicily with a
great Sicily tour!
Personal Travel in Sicily
The Peoples of Sicily: A Multicultural Legacy. Full of Greeks, Arabs, Normans, Germans and Jews, the most significant general history of Sicily ever published is about much more than an island in the sun. Can the eclectic medieval experience of the world's most conquered island be a lesson for our times? Find out as you meet the peoples! (368 pages on acid-free paper, ebook available) Read more.
Women of Sicily: Saints, Queens & Rebels. Meet a timeless sisterhood of pious Roman maidens, steadfast Sicilian queens, and a Jewish mother who faced the horrors of the Inquisition. Find an island's feminine soul in the first book about Sicily's historical women written in English by a Sicilian woman in Sicily. (224 pages on acid-free paper, ebook available) Read more.
Related pages: Real Sicilians • Sicily's Religions • Sicilian Literature • Arts & Artists • History • Ethnology • Events & Festivals • Museums • Sicilian Identity Today • The 'Invisible' Sicily • Sicilian Diaspora
How does one define a people? If we presume to "define" any culture, the
pages linked here are reliable points of reference for Sicily's.
• Arts and Artists - Links to topics encompassing everything from painting and sculpture to literature and cinema.
• Sicilian Literature - The best-known novelists, playwrights, poets and other Sicilian writers, from ancient plays to historic novels to contemporary erotic fiction.
• Peoples of Sicily - Introduction to the civilizations that conquered and colonized Sicily.
• History & Biography - Large links page covering numerous topics, from ancient history and mythology to the modern era.
• Religions of Sicily - East to West, from mytholoigy to Catholicism and every movement along the way.
• Arcana - The "invisible" side of Sicilian life: good, bad, ugly.
• Sicilian Food - The art of cookery. Links to dozens of culinary topics, from street markets to desserts.
• Sicilian Wine - Is wine making an art? We think so, and in Sicily it's an ancient one.
• Sicilian Identity - If you wanted to be or become Sicilian, this would be a good place to begin.
• Events in Sicily - Cultural events and festivals.
• Real Sicilians - A glimpse of the people of Sicily today.
• Sicilian Language - A tongue spoken since the 12th century.
• The Two Sicilies - We love Italy, but Sicily existed as a distinct nation long before 1861 and is still very, well, Sicilian. Here's why.
• Cities and Towns - This is by no means a complete list, but the map and links will take you into the realm of the local.
• Sicilian Regions - Whether its mountains, forests, coastlines or beaches - or perhaps our resident volcano - that interests you, this is a good guide.
• Sicilian Family History - Useful if you're already Sicilian but tracing your roots.
• Sicilian Heraldry - Relevant to architecture and genealogy, heraldry touches many aspects of art and history.
• Sicily Books - Some good books to deepen your knowledge of much information presented on Best of Sicily.
Top of Page